Sunday, April 23, 2006

Overzealous

My garden is growing really well....maybe too well. See, when I was sewing the seeds, I maybe went a little overboard and placed a lot of seeds into one little cup. (I thought my odds of getting at least one plant would be better that way!!) But now, I have this 1"x1" space that has up to four or five tomato or pepper plants in it. That's not good. My mom tells me I need to thin them, and she is probably right, but I'm afraid I'm going to kill them if I do that. I don't know how to thin plants. Do you just cut off the vine near the soil? I am getting nervous, because it's nearly T minus 4 to transplant time. Something has to be done. I don't want a crazy out of control garden, or a dead one, or one that is all vines and no fruit. Sigh.

2 comments:

Increasing... said...

I just pull them up by the root. but they must be pretty big by now so I'd just cut if off above the soil. You probably only want one plant per cup.

Natasha said...

I'm glad you said you pull yours by the root. Last night I started by just cutting them back, but then ended up plucking them up by the root. They are maybe at most 4" tall right now, probably less. Hopefully this works.....!!