Sunday, April 02, 2006

A Long, Rainy Night

Everytime there is a thunderstorm, Abe gets really worked up. Including if the thunderstorm comes in the middle of the night. He will pace back and forth, scratch at the floor, scratch at doors, and breath so loud and fast that it sounds like he's hyperventilating. Last night, we had a thunderstorm. Around 1:30, Abe started pacing and panting. Jesse got up and took him for a little stroll around the house so that he could see everything is okay. (He always wants to go into every room and patrol it). They came back in, and Jesse was getting pretty annoyed, so he made Abe lay down. A few minutes later, Abe is up and at it again. Jesse has been behind on sleep, so I decided that I would take Abe upstairs and sleep up there so that Jesse could get some rest. So Abe and I went upstairs and I made a little bed on the floor in the office because that's often where Abe likes to lay. He laid down with me for maybe a half hour, and then he wanted to move rooms. So off we went into the back bedroom, which right now, is full of storage, so there is a very tiny amount of floor space. Of course, Abe seems to want to settle in there, so for the rest of the storm, I stayed curled up behind some storage stuff, while Abe layed next to me, alert and panting, keeping gaurd and watching down the hall. At least he settled enough so that he wasn't pacing though. Anyway, after it had been quite for a bit, I figured the storm was over, so at 4 something, Abe and I went back downstairs. In the middle of my late night adventure with Abe, one though kept crossing my mind "is this what parents go through!?!" (Obviously in a different context, but similiar in the being awakening all night long part). Sheesh, I have to tip my hat to anyone with a kid under three!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The sad part of it is that it doesn't stop when they turn 3! The wakening lessens but it never actually stops (at least it hasn't for us yet!). Dogs are the test to whether or not you truly want children...they pave the way and give you a small glimpse into what it would be like to have a kid! You are going to be ready for twins!!!

Anonymous said...

Raya is still up twice a night. Thankfully Hallie usually sleeps through. I can't wait until I actually get more than 4 hours of continuous sleep. I will feel like i've died and gone to heaven I'm sure.