Monday, May 08, 2006

Plants and God

Yesterday I planted my raspberry bushes. Abe sort of trampled one in the car on the way to the house, so let's hope that little guy makes it. I plan to get the rest of my plants into the garden by Wednesday. I decided I will most likely never again try to grow plants from seed. I now understand why people buy the plants that are already started. Which, by the way, I now have. My onions met an unfortunate fate and mold grew all over them. My garlic dried up, and then grew mold. My peppers were doing amazing, until the onion mold spread onto them. And my tomatoes just shriveled up and died. I was praying for just 4 tomato plants to last, but God must have said no because those babies are all dried up. I was ticked at him. Why not just let 4 of my plants survive? I still don't know, but we have made our peace at least. I think I left them in their little pots too long and the roots died. Apparently, after they have leaves, you need to transplant them into a bigger pot. I didn't know that, and consequently suffered the fate. Anyway, my mom renewed my garden and got me plants that are already big and healthy, ready for the ground. They are in bigger cups, so I want to get them into the ground before anything happens to them. I am still really excited to have a garden and optimistic that I can make this thing work yet. Strangely enough, my dead little plants and my now blooming beautiful new plants seem to be echoing my spiritual life. I started reading an apologetics book, which has actually been quite fascinating and a quick read. I realized in reading it though, that it still will not answer any of my questions. I'm not concerned with whether or not Christ existed, or even if the Bible that I read is accurate (which those things have crossed my mind before at other times and been issues---oddly enough, the New Testament is quite possibly one of the absolute most accurate historical texts that we have, even in all it's translations - I won't bore you with the facts though), but I guess my question right now is "Who is Christ?" I mean, obviously there is quite an obvious answer. The Messiah. But, really, who do I say he is? Is he enough for me? Apolegetics can't answer that. Only my own heart can. But apologetics sure do stir my brain, and I like it when my brain is stirred. That's why I like Jesse. Speaking of, I had planned to make him some cookies for when he gets home, and that's only 30 minutes away, so I should get to baking. Which brings up another point that maybe I'll blog about later...domestication, genes, how women were created, and fullfillment.....I've come to some surprising conclusions for myself recently. But like I said, right now it's baking time.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

How did those cookies turn out? I've been dying to make cookies lately but my problem is that i eat them all and Chris and i are both trying to loose weight right now so I've been holding off. I just want my house to smell like baking for an afternoon rather than kids and cleaning supplies.

Natasha said...

Jesse is actually eating some of the dough right now. (I only made two pans and then froze the rest.) Jesse and I have decided we will never own a scale...then we will be oblivious to how fat we get!! =)

Anonymous said...

Hm, apologetics, your heart and the longing of your soul.

God wants us to love Him with heart, soul, and mind (depending on which version you read). Maybe it is too easy for any of us to leave one part untouched.

So thankful for you,
Mom