Friday, May 05, 2006

Darfur Peace Talks

I have been really happy about the recent media attention that has been given to Darfur. Thank God people are finally paying some attention. There's been an increase in international pressure for the rebel groups and the government to come to a peace agreement. They are in negotiations right now, but things are still shaky. The main issue from what I have read at this point, is who will be in the second vice presidency seat. This seems to be one of the main reasons rebels are not yet signing the agreement. In any case, the UN has reminded both world leaders and those in Darfur, that at the last UN summit, world leaders agreed that if country won't protect it's citizens or is using violence against them, then there will be international action, by force if needed. While I don't want it to get that far, I feel like the "violence" that would be caused by international action would be a lot more humane than the violence that's happening there now. Either way, whether an agreement is reached between the rebels and government there, or whether other countries have to get involved, I see this as the beginning of change and redemption for Darfur. It will be a long road to recovery, but to even see that road is a major step at this point. I think God's heart is moving there and it's time for the unimaginable evil that reigns there to be taken out. I'm excited for Africa as a nation as well. They've suffered long enough.

2 comments:

Teach said...

I just heard on the news tonight that they reached a peace agreement. They said that Canada has committed to support the peace efforts, which is about time if you ask me. Maybe the people of Darfur will actually see a change, but coming to a written agreement is different then things actually changing, so we will have to wait and see. Thanks for keeping us updated on this Natasha (and Jesse), it truly is am important cause!

Natasha said...

Awesome, I hadn't heard that news yet! I am anxious to see how it plays out, like you said, paper is a lot different than real life. At least there is hope though.