Well, my classes started on Monday and I really hope that I didn't bite off more than I can chew. Honestly, I thought it would be a piece of cake this semester since I'm not working, and I'm really only taking 3 hours more than I took last semester when I was working. Well, guess pride goes before a fall, because I feel so overwhelmed with school right now. One of my classes in particular is, in my opinion, ridiculous. The teacher even logged how much time we spent in the classroom the week
before classes started!! He posted it for everyone to see and then encouraged us to get more involved. Now, why would we spend time in the classroom before classes have even started!?! I get a ton of e-mails from him everyday, of which I wade through trying to make sense of. And he's e-mailing me telling me to "hurry up" and get things done. Not exactly helping my stress level. But, all in all, he seems to be a nice guy that is just really excited about teaching. We'll see how it goes.

Anyway, on a happier note, Jesse surprised me today with a beautiful glass pitcher. I had mentioned a while back that I have always wanted one. Now I can hardly wait to buy some lemons and cut them up into a pitcher full of lemonade. I love those simple things.
We have gotten a decent amount of rain here lately and some of my smaller peppers have rotted. Thankfully though, the ones that are a bit bigger are still doing well. I like the rain, but if it came just once a week and gave me an inch or two, that would really be perfect. I think it has drowned my raspberry bush. It's in critical condition. Anyway, I'm going to post some pictures of some of the plants in our yard, and if anyone knows anything about them...advice on how to care for them...please let me know!
10 comments:
that looks a miniature weeping birch perhaps. We had one that was prone to blight but your looks exceptionally healthy...
Cool plants. I'm all of a sudden into flowers and trees since Aunt Ernie came and helped us with our yard and gave us a tour through hers. I like simple things as well. My brother is a "romantic"....who knew?? I guess we've known ever since he met you. He's got a lot of years of "stored up" love to give...since he wouldn't even hug us as kids.
I did so hug you when we were younger. For my 7th birthday, mom made me give both of you a hug before she would let me have the binoculars she bought me.
WOW, good memory!! You might need to go for counselling or something....or was it just that good of a memory that you don't want to forget it?
I think it must be one of his most fondest memories!!! Not. The things a boy will do to get his birthday present.
The tree kind've looks like a Young's weeping birch but it doesn't look like it has white bark which a birch has. If it's a Young's birch you need to treat it with a very strong dripline ground chemical (can't remember the name of it) that kills tree miners - a type of worm that sucks the sap out of the leaves and kills the tree. Out here you treat it in late April and may need a second treatment in June but I'm really not too sure that tree is a birch.
The orange flower is a daylily. They are very hardy and need no special care. In fact they usually prefer dry soil. You can take a shovel and dig into the root ball in early spring or late fall and divide them if they get too big. They're kind've like tiger lilies and each bloom lasts for one day (rarely two) before it closes up/wilts.
The vine looks identical to our honeysuckle vine but our flowers are orange and yours look pink/purple. Each year it comes back on the old wood but you can chop it down every 3-5 years if it gets out of control. It doesn't need any special care and as it ages the roots go deep enough that you really don't have to worry about watering it too much. The birds love to nest in it and in the winter they love its shelter.
That's some good info. Thank you! Do you know how/when I could take some of that honeysuckle and put it in another part of the yard?
I think I have the best son-in-law in the whole world!
Jesse's mother-in-law
(Has nothing to do with the plants, but a lot to do with the pitcher. He found the perfect pitcher for Natasha. Sweet!)
Yea, he's alright I guess.... =)
you can't divide the roots of the honeysuckle very well without actually destroying the whole plant unless the base of the plant is very wide (has many "main" stems that don't lead to one root but to many roots). The two websites below suggest two different methods so you could try both:
http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/vines/msg0616541431246.html
http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/propa/msg0520351129106.html?6
Post a Comment