
I have finally finished all of my school work for this week - yay!!! I spent almost every morning before work, and every night after work, working on school. I am sick of it already and I just started. Not good. I am really enjoying the information that I am learning though, so that makes up for it. I am just mainly sick of things like taking notes, looking up big words that I don't know, and posting answers in online discussions. I don't mind doing it, but I feel like it's all I've done lately besides work, so I think that's why I'm sick of it. I want to go out to eat with Jesse or just spend a whole day with him doing nothing that requires deep thinking, analyzing, or large amounts of responsibility. A lot of our time together lately has been house hunting and talking about prices, what we can and can't afford, etc, etc. Ugh. Although, we did have a "supposed to be fast" showing this morning that ended up being over 2 hours. Jesse had viewed some houses earlier this week alone to narrow it down so that I would only have to go along and see houses that were really worth it since I need more time to study lately. Anyway, he found 2 he liked, and out of those 2 MLS listings, I only liked one, so we wanted to view it together this morning. I thought we would be done within 30 minutes. Not so much. We got there a tad early, so we drove around the neighborhood and came across a house almost directly in back of the one we were going to view, for just 900 dollars more. It seemed on the outside to be the same general layout, so we mentioned it to our realtor when he got there, and he set up a last minute showing so that we could compare the two since they were pretty much same price, same layout. It ended up that we liked the house we didn't originally set out to see better and I think we may even make an offer on it this week. All that to say, we ended up spending more time on houses this morning than planned. Poor Jesse is exhausted. He worked a double yesterday, so he got home between 1 and 2am...not too sure exactly where between there - I was pretty out of it when he came in. Likewise, I feel exhausted this week with work being crazy busy (I almost had to mandatory overtime today for 8 hours - thank God I got out of it!!) and then getting into the school routine has been rough on me as I adjust. (As I'm sure it's also rough on Jesse when I am more stressed out!) Anyway, so the plan was to wake up early, go view the house, come back here and take a nap then Jesse goes to work and I would finish my school work and take my psychology test. Didn't quite happen that way. My bet is that we will both be in bed and asleep by 9 tonight. (How do people with kids do it all!?!?) In any case, so since Jesse isn't here right now, and I don't have anyone else to chat with right now, I will just blog this. This is the most interesting thing ever. (Well, probably not, but it's dang close.) Okay, so there are people who have "split brains". Basically, they had crazy bad seizures, so they did this radical surgery that disconnects their right half of the brain from their left half of the brain - aka, no more connections between them. So, the weird thing is, that now, their 2 sides can't "talk" to each other anymore. Seems simple enough, but since certain things are controlled in certain areas of the brain, this creates some weird results. For example, the right side of your body is controlled by the left side of your brain and vice versa. So, when they show these spilt brain people a word, say the word "heart", the left eye sees the word "he" and the right eye sees the word "art". Not a big deal, right? Well, when you ask them "what word did you just see?" They will verbally say "art" because the left side of their brain gives the ability to put the concepts into words and the right eye saw the word "art". Then when you give them a list of words, and say "point to the word you just saw", they will point to the word "he" because the left eye saw it, and the right brain registered it, which can't talk and tell you that, but can point to show you that. That may only be interesting to nerds like me, but here is a real life example of it. This is true, this actually happens to people with this split brain thing. They are reading a book, which is using their left side of the brain because it's words. So they normally hold the book in their right hand because the left brain is engaged, and controls the right side of the body. Anyway, so they are sitting reading just like normal, then all of a sudden, without their even knowing it or wanting it, their left hand shuts the book and tries to put it away!! This is because their right brain isn't being engaged, and basically "gets bored", so it sends the message to their left hand (without the person even wanting the brain to send this message) to "close the book and do something else". There have been cases of people even trying to button up their shirt with their right hand, but the left hand is trying to unbutton it. Or, in one case, one hand was trying to hit a person, and the other was trying to protect the person! I love it!! This is so fascinating!! It's just because the two hemispheres literally can't talk to each other, so the left can't tell the right side "I'm reading these words, in the meantime, you can imagine up these images based upon what I'm reading" or something like that. And what's even crazier, is that the left side of the brain will just make up these answers for what the right brain makes the person do. Like it has to have a reason. Say the right side tells you to get up and walk. So you do, and if you ask the person why, the left brain makes up something like "I'm going to get a Coke", even if the person doesn't even want a Coke, the left brain just makes up these reasons for what the body is doing! I can't get over it. This has to be one of the most fascinating things I've ever read about. I am sure by now if you are still reading this, you are either bored out of your mind, or you are sort of geeky like me and really enjoy this type of stuff. I can't see how you couldn't. That is amazing. Do you know what all that means about the brain and body?? Anyway, needless to say because my rambling has probably already proved this, but I think I have finally found the right fit for myself in education. I still love art, but I hate the art world. Well, hate is a strong word...strongly dislike. I still love science and medical advances, but I can't stand the thought of poking needles into little kids. I still love missions, but I never found a place for myself to fit in with it. Now that I am on this road to becoming a psychologist, I feel like I finally found my fit. In missions, in medicine, in science, and a wee bit in art, although that one is subject to change. I feel relieved. I feel like I finally have a purpose. I have always struggled with life when I feel like I am making unconscious decisions. I want to live consciously. I want my choices to be for a reason. I don't want to go to college because "it's just something to do after high school". I don't want to get a job because "it's just what you do when you graduate college". I want to have a real meaning and purpose for my decisions and maybe I am finally getting there. Wow, this is getting to be a long post. I think I feel like going and being really lazy, eating something really bad for me, and sitting my butt on the couch and letting some other person's brain entertain mine in front of the television now.
3 comments:
Wow! That was a long post!!! Sounds like you have found something that interests you with school. I am sure my hubby will have some comments! James is happy because now he has someone who shares his passion! Watch out Natasha he can pretty into psychology related issues!
House hunting sounds really fun...I love doing that kind of stuff. Keep us posted on the hunt!
Cheremi
Psychology is quite interesting isn't it? Have you talked about or come across the story of Phenius Gage (sp?) yet? Its a good one!! The brain is one of the most intriguing organs. I love psychology and would have been quite happy as a psych major. Fortunately for me, teaching has a very practical application to psychology. Who knows, maybe one day in my life I will go back to school and do an Ed-Psych Masters, now that would be cool!! The only other thing I found as interesting as the brain and psychology was genetics, which of course effects the brain anyway, so there is a connection. If you ever got into genetics as well, we could have some very long discussions! My wife would probably not complain one bit :) You need to come and visit so we can swap wierd/interesting psych stories! Good luck in your studies!!
Thanks for posting guys! Cher, I will definitely keep you posted on house hunting. James, we just went over Phenius...however you spell his name in this last module that we did. It's crazy how such a freak accident leads to so much learning about the brain!
Post a Comment