Sunday, March 05, 2006

ABE!!!!



My dogs are one thing in my life that literally every single time I think about them, or look at them, it fills my heart with joy. I love these guys. Today however, Abe crossed the line. Despite his antics and personality that is always pushing the limits, I have never really been mad at him. Today, I was right ticked. It's a nice day out. I had the sliding glass door wide open so the dogs were coming and going as they pleased. Abe started barking a bit too much after the neighbor kids came outside, so I brought him in and then just closed the screen door so that some fresh air could still get in. He was doing fine - until the kids started making a lot of noise. Next thing I know, I look over at the door, and there is Abe, hanging half in and half out of the screen door, with it half off it's track. I immediately yell at him to stop, and instead of listening, he bolts as fast as he can (which was actually semi comical, considering he was lodged between the screen door and the glass door) out the door. At that point, he ripped the entire screen door, frame and all, off. Not like he just ripped through the screen. So I go chasing after him, and he is still just enjoying this barking spree off to the other side of the yard. When I catch him, I yank his collar and pull him inside and then yell at him probably more than I ever have before. See, in my marriage, Jesse is the firm discipliner, and I am the softie who disciplines sweetly. Not today. Normally when I discipline him, he sort of slinks into the floor, and gives me his biggest puppy dog eyes, then lifts his paw up to me as a peace offering. And it normally works. I tell him it's okay and we go back to normal. Today, his slinking into the floor and paw up for forgiveness wasn't cute. So I was giving him the silent treatment, and he kept following me everywhere around the house. Finally when I sat down on the couch, he plopped down straight in front of me with his head down, looking ashamed, and kept lifting his paw over and over to me. And I have to say, although I am still a bit mad, when I made direct eye contact with his big puppy dog eyes, I had to forgive him.

No comments: