Sunday, March 12, 2006

Life

I heard once that traveling is so tiring not because of the travel itself, but because you have so much time waiting that your brain just thinks and thinks all day, eventually wearing out your mind and physical body. The last week or so, I feel like I have been traveling. It's not that I have done so many things that I am exhausted, it's just that I have thought about so many things that I am exhausted. My head is just overwhelmed with life decisions. I guess we are both refocusing as individuals, which automatically refocuses us as a couple as well. Jesse has been making choices about his business and his photography. He's been pursuing a new direction and will potentially be traveling a whole lot more as he increases his steps. I'm focusing more on our home life and starting the student role. Me working less and hopefully eventually not at all plays a major role in our financial situation. I feel like I get caught between school, work, being a wife and taking care of things around the house. I think Jesse gets caught between wanting to provide financially, being a husband, and starting on a new path in photography that will be emotionally overwhelming and demand travel. It all seems simple enough. New goals, new path. But for some reason, the details that lead to these new paths can get so complicated. Even just buying a house. We can afford x amount now, because I am working. But when I stop, what then? And if Jesse will be traveling more, the area that we buy in will be especially important if I will be spending nights alone. And even more, if I decide to go on with my PhD, which at this point, I am nearly convinced I will, schools in this area that offer that program are few and far between. I don't want to have to move yet again in two or three years for me to go to grad school, so we need to think ahead about that. Obviously, I've learned you can't really plan on anything for sure, and for all I know, maybe I won't even finish my first degree, yet at some point, you have to be wise about how your today decisions will affect your tomorrow life. I guess for now, I am just trying to survive through the next two or three months and hope that things will clear up and fall together from there.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't like to comment on any of your blogs, but I have to scream on this one. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, you cannot move out of this area!! When Jesse travels, you have family close by who can come and stay nights or help out whenever.

I know it is unsettling with all life, excuse me, all that God may call you two to do. You are both such amazing and gifted people. I want to be close enough to help when you need to shutdown, when you need someone to just come in and fix a meal, or take care of the dogs. With what God is calling you to, I believe you both need to build a support system that is close by. Yes, families have quirks which can drain you if you allow them to, but they can be the best support system. I want to be that for you, for Jesse. If you leave this area, I would want you to head back to Canada to be near his family. Just keep a support system in mind. Don't leave yourself vulnerable as in Tennessee or Texas again.

Obviously,
Mom

Schalk Family News said...

I have to totally agree with your mom Natasha. You need to have some family close by. If it can't be us in Canada I am really glad to know that you have your parents close by. You need someone close enough to help if you need it. I can't say it any better than your mom already did. Listen to her!!!

Cher