Okay, now it's your turn to judge me. Why? Because with the world at our fingertips, we have chosen to return to Disneyworld. I know, I know.... just hear me out.
We really did make an honest effort to go elsewhere. In fact, we went so far as having reservations at a lodge in Port Renfrew, BC. And we had our days there pretty much planned - Botanical Beach, Juan De Fuca Trail, kayaking, the world's largest fir tree...it would be grand.
So what's the problem with that, you may ask?? The more we added up our activities, our hotel, our rental car, our meals....it got to be really expensive. I know some people are willing to pay off vacations after they are done, but for me, the best way to maximize my enjoyment is to have it totally paid before we even go. I started obsessing about whether or not I'd even be able to enjoy, or if I'd be there the whole time looking at how much each activity cost, and then choosing the cheapest. Maybe I am a tight wad. (That gene is definitely loud and clear in some of my relatives.) But, either way, I just don't like the idea of paying for vacation a month or two after it's long gone and over.
So within a day or two of deciding to go to Victoria, I accidentally stumbled across Disney's website and a couple vacation quotes were just randomly e-mailed to me. (It was all very strange, you know.) Anyway, the point is - it was a few hundred cheaper to go to Disney than to Victoria. (That Canadian dollar is right on par!!) Plus, since we are going in the off season again, we snagged the deal where we can eat free at any of the parks and resorts. That is hard to beat. And since we can rely on Disney transportation, we don't have to book a rental car...and the biggest plus? We just always have such a good time. I have nothing but wonderful memories from each of those vacations.
And honestly, because of that, I'm kind of scared to try something new. Pre-Disney we had nothing but suck vacations.
It began with our honeymoon. (Compliments of us being ignorant about off-season travel.) Everything was closed, which meant all the activities we had hoped to do were also off the table (sand dune hang gliding, bike rentals, kayaking, eating out). In fact, the only restaurants we ate at during that week were Hardee's and this place called Big Al's Diner (where we got mild food poisoning and consequently spent a lot of time hanging out in the bathroom). I think we saw a grand total of 2 other humans during our week long stay, which meant the little island was just dark and lonely, somewhat boring, and kind of sad and depressing. Indeed, I ate a gallon of mint chip ice cream all by myself that week - bought at the only grocery store that was open, who happened to be in the middle of remodeling, so they had about three aisle of stale crappy food in stock. =( I think if we had that happen to us now, we could make it fun and have a good time anyway, but being newlyweds, you just know that the expectation is that your honeymoon will be fun, and you aren't sure if you can just right out say to your new husband or wife "Hey, I can't wait until this week is over!". We freaking wrote our wedding thank you cards on our honeymoon, if that tells you anything about the suck level. Ha ha...now that I think about it, that is really funny. In such a sad little way.
Anyway, later over the first few years of our marriage, we didn't have much cash, so we tried some weekend get aways, and those also bombed for one reason or another. That pretty much summed up the first 4 years of our married life's vacations. So, as you can imagine, we were a little gun shy about vacations in general - you're out the money (which you don't have a lot of to begin with), and you didn't even really leave with good memories. When we decided splurge and go to Disney the first time, we actually enjoyed every day there. We laughed. We slept well. We ate well. We relaxed.
Back to present day - I was nervous in general about Victoria and trying something new anyway (though I do REALLY want to see Victoria), then once I saw the dollar signs just piling one on top of another, I had a momentary freak out where all of life became clear again. I had a vision of fluffy, white clouds, and suddenly, a big mouse in front of a castle appeared and spoke to me. It's all very fuzzy, but he gave me a message...something about the way to the happiest place on earth.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
Mickey scores again!!!
And the famous Disney chef made dish after vegan dish just for you..all on the free meal plan...seriously, I'd go there for R and R! In fact, I'm jealous!
Have a great trip!
You know I am not one to mess with a good thing!! Enjoy!
Ha Ha ha ha...oh goodness you are so funny. I'm sorry you guys have not had some good experiences with holidays. I think if you do someday decide to go to Victoria we should plan to meet you guys out there and show you a good time! And remember summer you can camp as well which makes it more adventurous and fun! :) Also saving piles of money. I love disney that much too though. I love every time I go, everything about it, and I also always circle back to disney every time we even dream of going anywhere. However I want Jeremy to be big enough to go on all the rides the next time we splurge to go so for now we have been going on little vacations...cheaper ones. I don't blame you at all though for wanting to go somewhere you know you will enjoy and you know your money will be well spent for that enjoyment. sounds great to me! Fun fun. Well say hi to Mickey for me. I do really miss him. Hopefully in a couple years we will be florida bound as well:)
oh and with victoria ....really the island is small so you have to travel to coombs there is a little icecream stand on the side of the road ( i know you don't eat ice cream) however the ice cream isn't the attraction....it's the live goats on the roof. Pretty cool.
And tea at the empress is pricey but worth it! As well as whale watching tours if you go at the right season. Tons to do on the island:)
Where are you staying in Disney this time?
We are staying at Caribbean Beach Resort. Our favorite is Coranado Springs, but they didn't have any rooms available.
I agree with your thinking about waiting until Jer is older. Jesse and I always say that when we finally have kids, we will not go to Disney until they are old enough to ride everything and experience the whole deal.
Anyway, hopefully someday we will make it to Victoria! I actually think that might be a fun "kid vacation" with all of the coast line and stuff...I bet younger kids would have a blast exploring.
Yes the kids LOVE the beach, and the starfish ect ect. Heck they just love SAND in general L. That's where we stayed in Disney world when I was younger and we really liked it. I haven't stayed in any of the other resorts though. When we go with the kids we may stay in the animal kingdom one (not sure what it's called). Yes it would be sad to have Jeremy sit out because he's not tall enough especially when his sister is so tall she could ride anything! She's 4"3" right now. goodness...she will pass me in no time! Anyways I should run but that'll be awesome:) Can't wait to see pics! When are you going?
Post a Comment