Wednesday, October 03, 2007
A Guest in the Garden
I have very very seriously neglected the gardens the last month, okay, maybe two months. I realized tonight that although they are all still making fruit, I need to chop it all down. It's too overgrown to really get the fruit, and I've let too much of it start to rot on the vine anyway. So, I started hacking away tonight, and discovered that something is living under one of the beds. Not too sure what....at first I was worried that maybe it's a snake, but now I don't think so. I found three holes and they definitely look like something had to dig them out. They go very neatly and nicely under the bed. I felt kind of guilty pulling all of the tomato vines off, as the holes were very clearly made under the heaviest of coverage. I just destroyed some little animal's threshold. I hope it's not something that I will have to chase off. I don't have the heart to kill whatever it is, even if it's something "bad". I found a handy little guide online, and thankfully I have ruled out rats. My guess is a possible groundhog, as I found this description online "hole 6 - 10 inches in diameter, dirt mound four inches high, near garden or barn: groundhog"...the hole is hard to measure, but I took a ruler out there and all three are 5-7 inches wide. Dirt mounds range from about 2-4" high. And I read somewhere else that groundhogs always make at least 2 entrances into their nest, so it would make sense that all three holes are one groundhog family. Hmmm...for now, I will ignore these holes, and as long as no major issues arise, I will let whatever little critter live in peace. So please, little creature, be good, so that you can keep your nice little home.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment