Monday, October 22, 2007
Art is powerful.
I'd love for you to check out this website. These are drawings done by children in Darfur while Human Rights Watch researchers talked with their parents. Unprompted. Clicking on each drawing will bring up quotes from the child who drew the picture, describing what they drew. This is happening now. What am I doing? What are we doing? We look back at the Holocaust and say "never again", but Lord what are we doing? I just can't believe this is happening now, as I type, sitting in my home.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
It is so hard to believe. So unbelievably sad and sickening. My kids are drawing pictures of trucks and cars and their favorite things and kids over there are drawing pictures of their families being raped and murdered. What do we do? I feel helpless to help but want to do something. You and Jesse are inspiring and motivating to make even the smallest effort to help. Let us know some of your ideas.
I know, it's so hard. I feel like surely we are partially responsible when we do nothing and just let it happen, yet it's hard to know what to do from here. Anyway, there is a good website, savedarfur.org that I get a lot of info from. I send a lot of letters to leaders through this site. It's nice because they already have letters written out, and you can just sign your name, so you don't have to figure out what to write and all of that. Mainly I write US leaders and Ban Ki-Moon, he's the head of the UN, so he has a lot of power in the situation. The site also has a petition for the UN that you can sign on. Also, this site lists companies that are heavily invested in Petro China. Petro China is largely connected with the Sudanese govt. and funding cash to them, so like with us, we found out that our 401k was in a company that heavily invests in PetroChina, so we pulled it, wrote the company a letter as to why, and are looking at other investment options now. They both seem like small things, but if enough people do it, it would make a huge impact.
Besides that, it's hard to know what we can do...pray a lot, learn a lot, but even then, I feel like it's small in light of the situation.
Post a Comment