Monday, November 13, 2006

Once Again

I was saddened to see this headline about Darfur today. Not only is it not stopping, but it's growing and spreading, and the issue is virtually ignored in light of the "war on terror." Seems ironic, as I don't imagine many of us in America have seen terror quite like these people have.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is so hard to believe we live in a world that can just turn a blind eye to this unfathonable act of terror. It is unbelievable. What to do we do?

Jesse said...

Ok, so after Natasha and I were done brainstorming, I spent a couple of minutes google'ing some ideas for your class. Hopefully this will be a start for you.


http://www.helpdarfurnow.org - website/movement started by high school students in New Jersey

http://www.pittsburghdarfur.org/getinvolved.html - They sell $5 green wristbands for Darfur, just like the yellow cancer ones.

202-456-1111 - President Bush's Phone Number
202-456-1414 - White House Switchboard
You could have one student designated each day to call and leave a message for the President.

As a class, write letters to the local media, Senators, President, etc, asking for more action in Darfur.

Hold a fundraiser and send the money to Doctors without Borders (Médecins Sans Frontières)

http://www.darfurdiaries.org - video interviews with Darfur refugees. Probably too graphic for 6th grade though (I haven't seen it, but I assume that their stories would be too much for a public school setting).

And, to top it off, I came across a painful statement on http://darfurdyingforheroes.blogspot.com/
"Darfur is not dying due to lack of ideas. Darfur is dying for heroes - citizens in all walks of life to get out of their comfort zones and stand with whatever it costs, whatever it takes personally as individual citizens to stop the Genocide."

Natasha said...

I think for one, just teaching it has done something huge. I remember being in school and we'd ask the age old question "Why do we have to study this?" Every time it was about history, the teacher said "So that we can learn from it, and not repeat our mistakes." And every time, they used the Nazi genocide as an example. Yet, here we are today, repeating it. It's the same deal - "ethnic cleansing". I think one of the main reasons we are repeating history is lack of education about it. This stuff is rarely reported in the media - however, one solider in Iraq dies, and it's all over the news. Not to make light of that, because one death is a big deal, but we don't hear the reports on how many are dying daily over this deal in Africa. In any case, all that just to say, that simply telling people about it is something. Anyway, I wish I had an easy answer for what we can do, but I don't. My hope is just that our little move matters - one letter, one phone call.