I thought this was an interesting paragraph in my sociology book:
In premodern Europe marriage usually began as a property arrangement, was in its middle mostly about raising children, and only in the end was about love. Few couples in fact married "for love", but many grew to love each other in time as they jointly managed their household, reared their offspring, and shared life's experiences. Nearly all surviving epitaphs to spouses evince profound affection. By contrast, in most of the modern West, marriage begins being about love, in its middle is still mostly about raising children (if there are any children), and in the end is - often - about property, by which point love is absent or a distant memory.
One of the most unexpected things that I have realized since being married, is that a great part of the joy of marriage isn't a feeling of love, but rather, a sense of commitment. Through the commitment, comes a deep sense of connection, regardless of whether or not romantic feelings are or aren't there. I don't know why that surprised me. I guess because all you do hear about is love...weddings are about love...and love this love that. I mean, nothing against love, it's obviously a very great and powerful thing, yet love in the romantic sense that our society uses it in, is not at all what marriage is about. The feelings may come and go, and certainly add a sense of excitement to a relationship, yet it's no wonder that relationships based upon this kind of "love" don't last very long and so many people wind up hurt and disillusioned when "love" fails them.
Anyway, so here's to my husband, who pulled the stinger out of my butt in Nicaragua when that bee crawled into my underpants and who never lets me clean up my own puke - your commitment to me brings freedom and joy that a thousand roses could never match.
Tuesday, July 11, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Natasha I agree about marriage being more about committment than our modern day ideas about love. In fact I would say that Christian love is committment that is not based on how one feels. When Dale and I got married we chose a Chinese proverb and had it painted on a banner over the head table. It read "choose whom to love, then love the one you have chosen". There have been many days and sometimes lengths of time spanning a year or more where our marriage has sucked and divorce would have seemingly made life easier but their is great joy in being committed through thick and thin and seeing something incredibly ugly become beautiful. I guess thats the picture of our redemption as well. We were incredibly ugly and yet the committed love of our Lord redeemed us into something beautiful.
I really like that Proverb. I might steal it and put it up somewhere in our house. =) Thanks for your thoughts. It always cool to hear views on marriage from couples that I admire.
let me chime in...
for as much as romance is mostly shallow and selfish it still accomplishes a very important part of a complete view of love. It is one of the most effective ways to develop intimacy - and this is not just physical or sexual. Rather romance is what dresses up the ugliness of who we really are. For instance one the hieghts of relational intimacy between couples is sex. Yet for all it's glamourization in popular culture - it is still one of the ugliest things two people can do together. Pardon my saying so but the actual functional genitalia are basically gross.
To me this is a picture of how powerful love truly is and I think it highlights your point even more clearly. Commitment to each other does not ignore or look past the ugliness of who we are but rather makes a choice to make it a beautiful thing.
I love that quote that you posted, "I will keep it on file..."
"Commitment to each other does not ignore or look past the ugliness of who we are but rather makes a choice to make it a beautiful thing." - That seems to be a key, as I am slowly learning. Conscious choice after conscious choice to see the beauty, that is oftentimes, hidden beneath dirt, and then to dig until you find all of it and pull it out, no matter how deep the hole may be or how muddy you get digging. Good stuff from you and your bride.
Nice blog. Good post. :)
Styrmir, Iceland
Post a Comment