Wednesday, July 08, 2009

Vegan Ice Cream: Round One

Ever since seeing the cover of The Vegan Scoop, I have had a one track mind, looking forward to trying my hand at making my own vegan ice cream. Unfortunately, I never located a copy of the book to thumb through. Library didn't have it, and neither did Barnes and Noble. I did a google search for recipes, and for the first time, my dear google failed me. Granted, I was looking for a very specific recipe. Anyway, through all my searching, I browsed probably 50 vegan ice cream recipes, so I got a good handle on the basic themes and important ingredients, and then decided to make up my own recipe from there. I made chocolate-peanut-butter, not really knowing what to expect. Vegetarian products and recipes are very hit or miss, and I assume vegan ones to be even more so. I was pleasantly surprised with the end result, especially considering we don't own an ice cream maker. (Apparently, the constant motion and stirring of the machine is what makes the consistency creamy and not icy.) I used unsweetened almond milk for the base, so it actually has some healthy virtues, like loads of vitamin E and lots of trace minerals. Sugar is the only bad thing in it, and next time I plan to scale way back on the sugar anyway because my only end complaint this round was that it was a little too sweet. But, now that I know it actually works with some success, we can start branching out to other flavors....mmm...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, does that look yummy! I just mowed the yard, and well, if your house was closer, you'd have a visitor looking for an ice cream treat.

mom (Canada) said...

I think I may still have a new icecream maker here(never used unless Jesse has used it). I'll look and bring it down next time I come if it it still here.

The Nieboer News said...

yum!!!