Saturday, May 16, 2009

Canuckless

I am without Canuck for the time being. Too bad, because the weather is perfection for a fire pit. I am tempted to make one for myself, but it seems kind of silly to make it just for me.

I went to lunch with my mom and then spent the afternoon on the back deck reading O magazine. There is a section this month all about animals, and one story in particular was about a lady who had to put her dog down. Of course, it made everything with Abe so fresh again and the waterworks started pumping, so I decided I needed to get out. I loaded up Horton and Monkey to take them for a little hike, but we needed gas first, so we made a quick stop at QT. This total macho motorcycle man pulls up at the pump opposite of me. Long hair, black leather, dark sunglasses. He says, "What are you doing with those dogs back there?" and I tell him we're going for a walk (mind you, this is all within 10 minutes of me reading the article and crying), and he says back to me, "I just had to bury my dog this morning. 14 years together." Lump in throat - check. So, we had a little chat about his dog and I told him about Abe, and we both agreed how hard it is to say goodbye. By this point, my plan to cheer up wasn't going so well! Anyway, eventually, we (as in me and the pups, not me and motorcycle man) made our way to a park by the river and had a nice three mile walk. I am not sure who enjoyed it most...cheered me right up, Horton was proud to pee on everything that stood more than two inches off the ground, and Monkey was convinced everyone had come to the park just to say hello to her.

Anyway, when we got back to the car, I had a voicemail on my cell phone from the dept. head at SFSU. Finally have a grad school decision! I gave her a call back, and was offered a spot with a nice stipend, but some of the details are complicated and I won't get into it all here. I had told myself I would say no, but it is proving to be harder than expected. I mean, I still think it may be best to say no, but I just didn't expect it to be this difficult to turn down. Anyway, I want to take a day or two to think it over and be sure that I am sure on my no.

In any case, for now, that's life without the Canuck.

3 comments:

cheremi said...

Congratulations!!! What a huge honor to get into grad school! I hope the decision will be come clear to you as the days go on... I don't envy your position.

Thanks for clarifying about the walk... for a second I thought you might have gone with motorcycle dude! I was relieved you left him at the gas station and went by yourself!

Hope you have a good weekend... wish you could have joined your canuck up here in Canada.

JimW said...

Since you're flying solo, you might think it's a good idea to rent a movie. I'm hope you're well-informed and know, whatever you do, don't watch Marley and Me!!

Congrats on grad school.

Natasha said...

Jesse and I made the Marley and Me mistake together. I think I cried a good solid hour after it ended. We didn't know much about it...we thought it was a happy go lucky comedy. Woops.

Anyway, thanks for the congrats on grad school. Cheremi, wish I were there, but I know Jesse is in good hands. Nate proudly informed me last night on Skype that he is Uncle Jesse's helper for the floors.