Monday, June 30, 2008

Dusting off my soap box...

I didn't go to church over the weekend, or any weekend recently for that matter, but none the less, I have a sermon! Now excuse me as I climb my soapbox... =)

For the summer, our small group is rotating leaders and topics. Jesse and I decided that for our week, we want to speak on Darfur. In preparing for it, I ordered a DVD off the website, Save Darfur. I get updates from this site often and it's a great resource for learning about the situation, as well as ideas for action. Definitely check it out, and even better, sign a petition there and then sign up for their e-mail updates that will let you know about other news regarding Darfur and further ideas of action that you can take.

In any case, the DVD is quite well done. It breeches the subject by looking at three major world religions - Christianity, Judaism, and Islam, and what their scriptures say about it. There were a number of quotes on the DVD that really struck me, that I thought I'd share here.

The great religions differ in the way they understand the relationship between humans and God. They do not differ in the way they understand the relationship between human beings and one another. Each one of those faiths says if someone else is suffering, that is my responsibility, and that is really what binds Jews, Christians and Muslims together. We have the same kind of ethic. The ethic of responsibility. -Sir Jonathan Sacks

Over the past few years, especially since leaving Mercy Ships, I've done a lot of thinking about what the real issues in this world are. I've been disappointed in the way that many Christian resources are utilized, and what "causes" rally the most attention and money. Seems like gay marriage, school curriculum regarding evolution, and issues like that receive a very large portion of our time and energy. If you ask someone in church about gay marriage, they would probably at least know the general issue and some legislation regarding it. If you ask someone in church about Darfur, it's iffy whether or not they would even be able to tell you where Darfur is located. Things like that really sadden. I feel like we put a lot of time into "defending" the wrong thing. He never defended himself, and I don't believe He needs us to defend him, which I feel is exactly what people are trying to do when they get all worked up over gay rights and "protecting" the sanctity of marriage or evolution being taught in schools and "protecting the truth". But never did God say "protect me, defend me, look after me." However, in regards to other humans, He did say:

Speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves, for the rights of all who are destitute. Speak up and judge fairly; defend the rights of the poor and needy.

So, with issues and legislation, I have to ask, who is it we are trying to defend, and do they really need defending? I would like the Christian community to take a good, hard look at that question, and see if perhaps, there isn't someone being overlooked while we are busy trying to "protect" our Protector.

In regards to Darfur, there is a lot of legislation in the works, and I wish that it was receiving as much attention as things like gay marriage legislation. On the positive side, however, the activists that are out there are making a difference. In a very, very, rare moment in US history, Clinton, Obama, and McCain issued a joint statement accusing the Sudanese government of their atrocities and warning that whoever the next President is will not ignore their actions. I firmly believe this statement was a result of activists writing letters, having rallies and protests. In politics, the pressure to please the public is so great, that if we demand something, it will not be ignored. And I want more people to demand that the people of Darfur get help. I'm not speaking merely of the US government here. I'm speaking of the entire world, and in particular, the United Nations. While talks have happened, some legislation has been signed, the actions are often slow. If the public pressure were greater, however, I think the action would be more swift. And this is a case that needs swift action. History shows, these things snowball. And Darfur is definitely rolling fast. I think it's so important to remember.

Hitler was meeting with his most powerful advisers...and they were discussing how to start the Holocaust, and one of his advisers say, "But what about the Armenian genocide?" and his answer...was "But who remembers the Armenian genocide?" - Vicken Aykazian

It was the Armenians, it was the Jews, it was the Tutsis, it is the people of Darfur, and someday, it could be your people and it could be my people. So don't forget.

One month before the terrible genocide in Rwanda, the United Nations man on the spot warned that there was a real risk of genocide and the world did nothing, and one month later, over a period of 100 days, 800,000 people were murdered. -Sir Jonathan Sacks

I think we often underestimate the power of our own humanity. 100 days, 800,000 people. That proves the power. Now imagine that on a good scale. What we do matters. It matters on a small scale, and it matters on a large scale. It matters right now. And it matters for the future.

We change the world one life at a time, one day at a time, one act at a time. There really is no other way. -Sir Jonathan Sacks

So today, let's each do our act. Let's remember our history. Let's take a good, hard look at our present. Let's say a prayer. Let's take five minutes to sign a petition, to write a letter, to tell someone else. Let's look into divestment. But let's not stay silent. Let's not ignore those who desperately need our voice and our defense.

If I have a chance to say something for my brother, I'm praying all days for you - Moheamed Dafella Ishag, (Darfur survivor speaking of his brother, who was murdered by the janjaweed).

No comments: