Friday, February 17, 2006
I Think I'm Going to Puke
So a couple weeks ago, as my step-dad's birthday was approaching (it's tomorrow), I enthusiastically volunteered to make a salmon dinner for him. I really like to cook, and I have never really made any sort of seafood, since neither Jesse or I like it, so I thought "when else will I get to try my hand at seafood?". Well, today is the day. I just got back from the store, where I dropped a buttload of cash (thank God Jesse and I don't like seafood or we'd be broke) on the things I need for the meal. The last thing on my list was the salmon. I got a fresh fillet of wild Alaskan salmon....and I think I am going to puke. Just staring into that little glass area where all those dead fish and lobster and shrimp and squid and eww eww eww....first, I feel bad for the fish. Any food that remains in it's animal shape while being cooked, gives me a really hard time. Plus, those little beady fish eyes just stare at me. And the poor lobsters still alive in the tank. I seriously have to hold back tears when I think about their fate. Not kidding. Anyway, after going into too much thought about all these things while the butcher guy was wrapping my salmon fillet, I had to look away and think about other things...like the bread counter next to me. There's a good food. Bread. No animal shapes. No eyes. It's a good thing. I got back under control and didn't think much about the salmon on my drive home. (I put it in the trunk.) Then I got home, and was unpacking the bags, and the grossness of all grossness...the dang little fillet was leaking fish juice and it got on my hands and dripped onto my socks. Vomit!!! Anyway, that is as far as I have come. I had planned to make extra marinade that I use on the fish to also make some chicken for Jesse and I, as well as my mom, but on second thought, I think I may be going vegetarian tonight. In fact, I think I may be going vegetarian for the next week.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment