I have decided to declare a moratorium on this. Ladies aren't allowed to bash themselves in my presence. (And I'm doing my best not to bash myself in my presence either.) Of course, we never think of it as "bashing". We say that we are just "telling the truth" or "saying how we feel", but I think it's time to call bull shit on that. We are hating.
Let me recap a few comments I've heard over the last month or so during normal every day conversation. Only, instead of using the word "I", let me sub the word "you".
Your bottom is so much bigger than your top.
You're an amazon woman.
You have problem skin.
You really are pear shaped.
You would look better if you could take some fat from your butt and put it on your boobs.
You can't ever lose weight.
You should try to hide your stomach this season at the pool.
You could never pull off a bikini.
You need all the help you can get from a push up bra.
You would look better if you had hair more like that girl over there.
You should wish for longer, thinner legs.
If I ever said any of those sentences to another woman, I think I would rightly be labeled a mean girl. Those are really, really crummy things to say. So, why do we pretend like it's totally fine to be a mean girl as long as it's to ourself?
Ladies...let's please stop.
We may never be able to change advertising campaigns that airbrush and photoshop; we may never be able to control creepy men who talk to our chests instead of our faces; we may never be able to rid the world of 36-24-36 dreams; BUT we can show our bodies some respect by refusing to tolerate negative self-talk.
So, this is me asking you to pay attention to what you're saying about yourself. And if it's negative, challenge it. And let's help each other out here too...if you hear another woman hating on herself, call her out. Refuse to tolerate it. It does nothing good - not even a teeny, teeny, teeny, tiny ounce of good.
2 comments:
Wow. Once again, you should be published. Seriously.
The things I say about myself, if I said them about, or to, another woman, I would be appalled at the meanness. And by saying them over and over and declaring them as "truth", it is the worse kind of bashing.
Wow. Good call.
I will join you in this moratorium.
And, thank you.
Well said. Crazy the things we think are "okay" to say to ourselves. I have become more aware of what I am saying to myself as I watch my girls grow and pray they grow up knowing just how beautiful and special they are... because I still struggle to see beauty when I look in the mirror.
Post a Comment