Sunday, October 17, 2010

Eating & Running

A few photos from the last couple weeks...

Our plans for Canadian Thanksgiving were up in the air until last minute, since we weren't sure what Jesse's work schedule would look like. He ended up getting the Saturday before off work, so we decided to go to Weston for the day. Jesse wanted to get in a run at the state park and I had been wanting to buy some mums at one of the little farms there for quite a while. It was a fun day that went by really fast. My parents treated us to lunch at one my favorite restaurants in town and the weather was insanely perfect.
It happened to be Irishfest while we were there, so Jesse and I decided to walk down to the festival that evening and hang out for a bit.
We didn't stay too long, as we are not much for hype. We just basically peeked in, then kept walking around town.
When the actual holiday rolled around, I had to go to work, and Jesse had to go to class. We had a quiet dinner with just the two of us that evening, and it ended up working out well. Since it was the week leading up to his marathon, I knew he wouldn't want to eat a big meal or a lot of sugary desserts, so we went with lots of veggies and no dessert - not exactly the type of meal you'd like to serve at a big party. =)

Anyway, while Jesse was preparing for the marathon with long runs and a strict diet, I was busy deciding what to wear to help support him. I decided to make a shirt especially for him. It was nice and cool the morning of the marathon (for spectators at least - I'm sure it was a touch on the warm side for the runners), then turned into wonderful weather for post-race activities.

I think most of you know, but Jesse's goal for this marathon was to qualify for Boston, which meant he needed to come in at 3:10:59 or less. I was sure he had it in the bag, as he had logged plenty of 20 milers in his training and was well suited to keep a 7:14 or less average mile. (In fact, he can actually hold a 6 something mile with relative ease.)

Race day came and Jesse left the house bright and early. I got up a bit later, took care of the dogs, then headed to the race and walked around for a while trying to find the best spot at the finish line. When the marathon clock flipped to 3 hours, I had my camera out and ready, sure I'd see Jesse pop over the hill at any second. As it crept closer to 3:10, I was so full of anticipation, ready to see him slide in right at the deadline. When it flipped past 3:10, my heart sank, as I knew Jesse was either hurt or sick. Since I had no way to contact him, I stayed where I was, watching for him, and pulled my phone out of my bag, knowing that my contact info was on his bib.

I was thrilled and relieved to see him pop over the hill at 3:20 something (clutching his stomach in pain). Even though I was happy and proud, I knew he would be crossing the line feeling frustrated and disappointed. I cheered him as he ran past, then headed down to the shoot to meet him after he got some fuel.

His splits tell the story perfectly: At mile 9.3, he was 11th in his division, averaging a 7:04 mile - well on track for a BQ. At mile 19.8, he was 9th in his division, and his average had picked up to 7:02. Between there and the finish....oof. At mile 20, he got what he described as "the worst cramp of my entire life", and ended up having to walk/run it in. I was so bummed for him, yet with a 3:28:34 finish, he still did awesome! I honestly wasn't sure if I should greet him at the finish with a huge, proud smile, or my condolences. From my view, there was nothing but pride and happiness, but I know Jesse well enough to know that he would first be crushed by not meeting his goal before he would be able to give himself credit for the incredible accomplishment.

Anyway, I met him at the end of the chute, and we walked for a bit, as he processed the race and stretched. Check out those compression socks!

I told him he needs to get a blank technical shirt so that I can make him a corresponding shirt, letting everyone know that he is, indeed, a fartlekking Canadian.
I'm sure you're not really supposed to be in the fountain, but really...who cares?
And finally, some of his other fans out to show their support!

All in all, it was a good day, even if Jesse's initial reaction involved the f bomb.

7 comments:

mom (Canada) said...

I feel sad for Jesse...always glad to see the pix, though, and especially pleased to see your parents in one. Shawna looks more like my sister in that photo than my real sister looks like me!

Anonymous said...

Jesse has every reason to feel great, and hopefully he is determined enough to bq at the turkey run. It's interesting about you and me, Dorothy, and all the similarities. I'm just glad I got to meet you in this life.

And I couldn't be happier with my son-in-law.

Increasing... said...

so compromises on the thanksgiving meal - an interesting 'reason' to fore go the festivities even if they are not native to your place of residence. what is intriguing is how function seems to be the critical element in your food choices for that meal which had it been any other day of the year might not have seemed like anything of a 'sacrifice'. its weird how the notion of not partaking in the traditional meal sort of constructs this state of sacrifice which in relating enhances the empathy of your readers and equally heightens the disappointment of Jesse's time. Its almost like fixing a relatively ordinary meal in Jesse's pre-race standards actually might be seen as an even more valid way of engaging with the ethos of the holiday than having partaken of the bird and stuffing.
On another note here are my condolences to Jesse on the missed target. Thanks for this post it serves as great grist for the mill...

Amy said...

You just gave me a vocabulary lesson. I now know what fartlek means :) L.

I also feel sad for Jesse, but he did awesome despite, and we all know he can do it, which I'm sure you have passed on to him.

I can't wait to see you in Feb!

Talk to you later.

Increasing... said...

my best mile is 15 minutes so he is rather dwarfing my best effort - but maybe we could run in a race together - now that would be cool

Natasha said...

Thanks "moms" for your support!!

Haha, Amy I didn't know what fartlek was either until Jesse got into running. Now I just like to say it.

I am much close to your pace, Dale! Perhaps we should all do the Calgary Marathon next spring?! (And by that, I mean, Jesse does the marathon, and I do the shortest distance possible.)

Amy said...

Now that's a GREAT IDEA!!!!!!!! YAY FOR CALGARY !!!!!
By then John and I hope to be worked up to a half marathon! :) We would GLADLY join you guys. FUNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!

Let's do it!!!