Sunday, June 17, 2007

Busy

It was a very busy week here, but hopefully productive as well. We took N to the zoo on Thursday, and it was fun, but exhausting! Even N was worn out. I've never seen that. At one point, he asked "Can we just stop and rest for a minute?" Then he told us he was going to go to bed by 8:30 and sleep very well. And this is from the kid who usually wants to sprint and race everywhere! In any case, my legs are still recovering. I don't think we'll do many more zoo trips. I wasn't too impressed with the facilities that many of the animals are in. I don't think zoos are bad, as long as all the animals needs are met...and here, I had to wonder about many of them. Some just looked bored out of their minds, and others who generally roam for miles in the wild had a space smaller than our house to live in. I am sure that anyone who goes into zoology must have a love for animals, so hopefully my judgements are far off from the truth.

I would post some photos of the bathroom, which is nearly complete. (We've got some grout haze to wipe off the floor, some paint touch ups and a few other small things like hanging up the toilet paper holder and some wall decor.) But, with all this new PC business, I have to find our card reader that fits a PC, and am still lamenting the loss of Photoshop, as we owned the Mac-only version. That program will be greatly missed. We are still kind of hoping Mac will fix the laptop for us, but are bracing ourselves for the worst. Anyway, all that to say, I don't know where the card reader for the PC is, and I will have to figure out what kind of basic little program we can install on here to do some photo resizing and such before I will be able to post any other photos. Once the house is cleaned up from the bathroom remodel, it will be easier to find. This project has spilled everywhere! We've got stuff on the back deck, tools in the office, a bucket of mastic in the hallway, the old cabinets in the kitchen, and I am not even going to discuss the status of our garage.

I got to use the reciprocating saw for the first time yesterday, and that was quite enjoyable. Jesse wasn't home, so I did a few "test saws" into the air to see how it feels, then prayed that I wasn't doing something totally stupid, and went at it. I only had to make two very small cuts, but none the less, I was proud of myself for not sawing off something that I wasn't supposed to, and for not shedding any blood. Jesse says the reciprocating saw is the "manliest of all saws", but it is not nearly as scary to me as the wet saw. I think I measure level of scariness based upon how close my hands have to be to the blade, so that explains it. Anyway, I also hooked up the sink by myself, which to anyone who knows about plumbing, knows that isn't really a big deal, but I've never done anything with any plumbing - Jesse has been taking care of that aspect of this project. So, I was proud that I got the vanity in, got the sink put on, and got it all hooked up with not one water leak in sight! (Now let's just hope it stays that way.)

Anyway, once this place is cleaned up, I'll get some photos on here. In the meantime, I need to check in on some school work!

3 comments:

Jesse said...

Not only did you get the sink in, but it doesn't leak either - which is more than I can say for any of my installations.

Schalk Family News said...

I am totally impressed! I would like to try my hand at some home improvements the way you guys do. I used some power tools at my sil and I must admit I would like to have my own workshop. Good for you Natasha! I can't wait to see the pics.

The Nieboer News said...

good job! very impressive. looking forward to the "after" pictures.